Friday, January 14, 2011

Breakfast for Dinner - Chipollata with Eggs

Tonight I had a craving for my favourite breakfast meal that my Nonna used to make for me when I was a child. She called it "Cipollata ". Cipollata means 'a dish of onions'.  To be clear, onions are not the only ingredient in this meal.  Nonna would make this dish using green and red peppers, onions, tomato, mint and eggs.  Now I make this dish in honour of her and still LOVE IT!




This recipe may not be exact to how Nonna makes it, because in my family we don't usually write recipes down. We learn from watching, we use what we have on hand, and we cook from the heart.  This dish may vary from time to time but it is always amazing.  Maybe the next time I go home, Nonna will try my Chipollata to see if I have recreated this family favourite.

Ingredients

2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
1 small onion
1 small green pepper
1 small red pepper
1 tomato chopped
chopped fresh mint - I use a 1 tbsp
salt and pepper
hot sauce - optional
2 large eggs

Saute onions and peppers together in olive oil for 5-6 minutes on medium high heat.
Add chopped tomato and cook another 3 minutes
Add salt, pepper, mint and hot sauce
Add eggs in the center of the pan and cover.
I like my yolks soft  but you can cook them however to your liking.
Serve with crusty bread for dipping.

Buon Appetito!

No comments:

Post a Comment

-