Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Angela's Spaghetti Putanesca with Mussels

This evening I created my version of Spaghetti Putanesca and decided to make it with Mussels.  Initially, I was just going to make mussels, but once that fridge door opened I was swayed in a different direction by my ingredients.  I found myself standing in front of the refrigerator having images of spaghetti piled high using mussels, anchovies, capers, fresh tomato, and chillies.  It's almost as if my ingredients were talking to me and whispering “make a da pasta" with a strong Italian accent.  So, I made pasta for dinner and it was well worth it!





Ingredients
2 servings
  •  Healthy splash of extra virgin olive oil                          
  • 3 cloves of chopped roasted garlic
  • 1 clove of chopped fresh garlic
  • 1/4 cup capers
  • 1/4 cup olives chopped
  • 1 tsp anchovy paste
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh tomato
  • 1/4 cup of chopped fresh parsley
  • 1 lb mussels
  • 1/4 cup of white wine
  • 1/4 cup of clam juice or fish stock
  • fresh chillies or flakes - as much as you like
  • juice of 1 lemon
  • 250 grams of spaghetti


Heat olive oil and saute fresh garlic, capers, chillies, anchovies, and olives for 2-3 minutes.
Add fresh tomato and roasted garlic and saute for 2 more minutes on high heat.
Add white wine and cook for another minute.
Add clam juice and mussels and cover for 2-3 minutes until mussels are open.
Toss in cooked spaghetti and parsley.

Garnish with fresh arugula and a lemon slice if you desire.

Buon Appetito!

No comments:

Post a Comment

-