Monday, December 20, 2010

Oysters

For many people oysters are an acquired taste.  I started to appreciate oysters at a very young age and now associate them with the holidays.  In my family, we celebrate Christmas on December 24th and like most Italians we indulge in a seafood feast, where oysters are just the beginning of many more things to come!  Today, I picked up oysters that were cultivated in Prince Edward Island called "Uncle Willy's."  These particular oysters have become my favourite type of oyster since I moved to the Maritimes a few years ago. 



The characteristics of this type of oyster can only be described as salty and sweet, with a fresh ocean taste.  Uncle Willy's are also known for being a large oyster, ranging in size from 10-12 centimeters long.  I can't wait to bring these oysters home for Christmas for everyone to enjoy!!!  I will be posting more about my Christmas Eve traditions throughout the week, which will include pictures of each course and recipes.  I hope that you have a happy holiday with your family, friends and, of course, food!

Happy Shucking Holidays!

Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment

-