Sunday, October 2, 2011

Veal Parmigiana with Penne Pasta

Growing up in an Italian household taught me to appreciate how people eat in Italy and carry on traditions that we have always enjoyed in our family. Although I learned the proper way to dine, Italian style, I sometimes break the rules.



Before every one of my birthdays, my mother would often ask me what I wanted for my special meal and I would always respond with the same answer "Veal Parmigiana with Pasta."  As some of you may know, Italians do not eat pasta and meat on the same plate.  Traditionally, Italians will have pasta first (Primi), and Meat to follow (Secondi).  Despite the traditional "rules," my mother would always make my request the way I wanted it and now I still make it that way in my home.  Sometimes breaking the rules is worth it.

Penne Pasta 


200 grams penne- cooked
2 tbsp butter
1 cup mushrooms
1/2 cup basil pesto ( I made mine)
1/4 cup homogenized milk
salt and pepper to taste

1. Melt butter in a pan and saute mushrooms for 2-3 minutes.
2. Add cooked penne, pesto, milk and salt and pepper.
3. Cook for 2-3 minutes on low heat until sauce thickens.


Veal Parmigiana

2 Slices of veal pounded thin
1 cup of seasoned breadcrumbs
1 egg
4 slices of fresh mozzarella
1/4 cup parmigiano cheese
1/2 cup of tomato sauce
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup vegetable oil

1. In a bowl beat egg and season with salt and pepper.
2. Place breadcrumbs in a plate.
3. Dip veal in egg and then in breadcrumbs.
4. Fry veal in hot oil and pat dry with paper towels.
5. place veal on a sheet pan and top with tomato sauce, parmigiano, and mozzarella.
6. Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.

Buon Appetito!


No comments:

Post a Comment

-