Friday, October 7, 2011

My Catering Adventure at Bishop's Cellar

Tonight I was asked to provide the appetizer spread for a wine tasting at Bishop's Cellar in Halifax.  The wines were all from Nova Scotia, so I decided to make a fall inspired menu with as many ingredients as possible produced right here in Nova Scotia.  Since appetizers are one of my favourite things to serve, I decided to pull out a few choice recipes that I have not made in a while.


First, I made my Sweet and Savoury Tartlets, with caramelized pear, Dragon's Breath blue cheese and topped with pancetta and sage from my garden.



My second plate was a Sweet Potato and Goat Cheese Crostini, topped with pistachios and drizzled with Nova Scotia maple syrup.









My third delectable bite was a variation on my Philly and Fig Parcels, but this time I made bite-sized spring rolls with figs, cream cheese, walnuts and copious amounts of local wildflower honey.  I overheard one of the patrons telling a few others that the spring rolls "tasted like Christmas."


Another hit was the aged cheddar and chive crackers, which I made from scratch this morning.  In addition, I served an appetizer board with a few cheeses, fresh fruit and the winning combination of gjetost, imported from Norway by Fox Hill Cheese House, with local Honeycrisp apples.





All of the staff at Bishop's Cellar are always very hospitable and are very knowledgeable, and tonight was no different.  Through the few hours I was in the store tonight, I learned a great deal from them about Nova Scotia wines and how to use them to complement fresh fall flavours.



If you are in the Halifax area and are looking for a recommendation for a great bottle of wine to pair with your next meal, head on down to Bishop's Cellar or check out their website for a chance to attend an upcoming tasting. I had a blast tonight and I hope everyone who tasted my creations did as well.  I look forward to a great Thanksgiving weekend with my family and I hope all of you have a happy holiday weekend as well.  Buon Appetito!

Here is a video of me getting some tips from Alanna, the in-store sommelier and retail manager prior to my own wine party!!! This video is also posted on The Real Women of Philadelphia website where I am the Appetizer Host.  

http://www.realwomenofphiladelphia.ca/post/pairing-wines

No comments:

Post a Comment

-