Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Beans with Stewed Tomato and Roasted Garlic





A few months ago I discovered a fabulous local Winnipeg market called Crampton's. It has everything you would find at the farmers market on the weekend but is open all week long. I love supporting this market because they have a network of Manitoba farmers that supply the most delicious local ingredients and products within our province. They also carry meats that are ethically raised, grass fed,  antibiotic and hormone free.




 The service at this market truly unique. As soon as the front door opens you are immediately greeted with a warm welcome and sometimes a fresh sample of   fruit from one of their knowledgeable team members that always offer assistance with a smile. They even have a rewards program to keep you coming back as they realize shopping local is sometimes more expensive than shopping at the big corporate grocery store. After I peruse through the store and fill my cart with the weekly vegetables and meats I need, I proceed to the cash register where they box up my items and carry them out to the car for me. This week there was so many fresh ingredients I filled almost three boxes of groceries and have so many great options for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

One of the recipes I made and wanted to share with you is an oldie but a goodie. My mother used to make this side dish often in the summer time and I wanted to recreate my own version of that childhood summer favorite. I used both green and white beans, cherry tomatoes and  fresh garlic that I roasted in some olive oil. If you like simple recipes with fresh ingredients give this dish a try. Even though this recipe is super simple it still has wonderful flavor and texture that would accompany any great meal.


Ingredients

2 pints  cherry tomatoes
5-6 cups green and white string beans
1/2 cup of roasted garlic- approx. 10 roasted cloves
2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup basil chiffonade for garnish

Method

1. wash beans and trim off the ends.
2. slice the cherry tomatoes in half.
3. heat a large pot on medium heat and add the olive oil and tomatoes, cooking until tomatoes are stewed. approx. 10 minutes.
4. add the beans stir to incorporate. Cover and let cook for 10 minutes or until beans are cooked but still aldente.
5. add roasted garlic, salt and pepper
6. stir in the fresh basil and transfer to a serving bowl or dish.
7. Enjoy!



A




No comments:

Post a Comment

-