Thursday, November 30, 2017

Broccoli and Cheddar Soup





I have been making a variety soups lately because my son LOVES them. It is a great way to have him eat lots of vegetables and protein and he is very proud to demonstrate his spoon skills. In the past few weeks I have shared my Cauliflower Soup with Maple Bacon and Thyme and my Fast and Easy Butternut Squash Soup recipes.  This Broccoli and Cheddar soup is another great meal that is packed with vegetables and protein and I made it decadent without using butter and cream. I decided to add a large Yukon Gold potato to the soup to add a creamy texture without having to use heavy cream or butter. This is a great trick when wanting to cut out the fat without compromising great taste. One large potato and 1 cup of homogenized milk make this soup just as creamy and delicious without the extra calories. I also use 2 cups of cheddar because that could not be avoided when making a broccoli and cheddar soup.  I have used this trick when making seafood chowder. I puree a portion of the soup that includes potato and it gives the chowder a wonderful creamy texture without all the fat.

I decided to take a shortcut by using frozen broccoli instead of fresh to save on time on a busy weeknight. I have no problem substituting frozen for fresh vegetables when making soups. Frozen vegetables are often frozen at their best and I find it much faster for weeknight meals. It cuts down on my chopping time allowing me to have dinner ready in 30 minutes or less.

I hope that you give this soup a whirl, and enjoy it as much as we do!

Please let me know if you have any questions by posting in the comments section below.

AA

Ingredients- Serves 6

1 large onion- small cubes
1 large carrot- small cubes
1 large Yukon gold potato- small cubes
4 cloves of garlic- diced
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tbsp paprika
1 tsp garlic powder
salt and pepper
1 bag  (500 grams) frozen broccoli
2 cups of  no salt added chicken stock
1 cup homogenized milk
1 tsp- Dijon mustard (optional)
2 cups of orange cheddar


Garnish options- Placing the garnishes on the table will allow your family to garnish their own bowl and will make dinner time fun!  

chives
paprika
Greek yogurt
bacon
croutons
shredded cheddar

Directions


  1.  Heat a large heavy bottom pot on medium heat and add the olive oil. 
  2. Add the onion, potato, and carrot to the pot and saute for 5 to 6 minutes. 
  3. Add the garlic and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
  4. Add the paprika and garlic powder to the pot and stir into the vegetables. Cook for about a minute. 
  5. Delgaze the pot with the chicken stock scraping all the flavor bits from the bottom of the pot.
  6. Cook for 12 minutes until the potatoes and carrots are soft.
  7. Add the broccoli and cook for 4 minutes or until soft.
  8. Turn the heat down and add the milk and mustard. Once simmering remove from the heat.
  9. Using a hand blender or stand blender puree the soup. Once it is pureed slowly add the shredded cheese while the blender is running. This will melt the cheese into the soup and make it smooth and not sink to the bottom of the pot or blender. 
  10. Once smooth taste and season with salt and pepper. 
  11. Serve and enjoy! 
Note: I used my kitchen aid stand blender and pureed the soup in two batches. I removed the clear circular top in the lid and slowly added a cup of cheddar cheese to each batch while the blender was running.  I poured both batches into a new pot once pureed. If you are not ready to serve, place the pureed soup on low heat stirring often until needed. If the soup is too thick add a little extra stock while you are blending. I found the thickness perfect for us so I didn't add any extra liquid.



No comments:

Post a Comment

-