Monday, May 11, 2015

Cheat Omelettes aka The Wafflette and Soufflé Egg Balls


Omelettes are a frequent breakfast item in my home both during the week and on the weekend. My husband and I both LOVE having a hot breakfast whenever possible, and different variations of this delightful day changer always keep us wanting more. Often, friends have told me that they have a difficult time making a hot breakfast for their family during the week. It Is much easier to have cereal, instant oatmeal, fruit or yogurt for breakfast when time is a factor.

What if I told you that you could have a hot breakfast with fresh eggs, vegetables and cheese in the same amount of time it would take to wash and slice fresh fruit or gather the ingredients for a morning smoothie?  It requires some planning, but it works! I made a hot breakfast for my husband and I  in 5-8 minutes. It was so fast and easy I had to share my cheat Omelettes with all of you. I have created two variations of this breakfast. The first is what I like to call a "Wafflette", or a Waffle Omelette and the second is Soufflé Egg Balls.

This is how I did it:

When I woke up, I went down to the kitchen and started brewing a fresh pot of coffee. Before heading up to the shower, I plugged in the waffle maker. Once I was ready, I took eggs, scallion, shredded cheese, mushrooms and red pepper out of the fridge. I cracked the eggs into a measuring cup and quickly diced the vegetables. I dropped the vegetables and cheese into the measuring cup and seasoned with dried chili flakes, salt and pepper. I whisked until well combined, sprayed my waffle maker with non stick cooking spray and poured the egg mixture, spreading it evenly before shutting the lid. THREE minutes later my hot Wafflette was ready. The outer exterior had delicious crispy bits from the cheese and it was fluffy and moist on the inside. SOOOOOOOO TASTY! It can also be placed in a whole grain bun or English muffin and wrapped in parchment to be eaten as you run out the door. If you are not confident with flipping eggs and folding over traditional or crepe style Omelettes, or if time is a factor, this recipe is for you!

The second variation is a lighter oil-free version. In order to make these delicious egg balls, a non-stick poaching pan is needed. I purchased mine new at Costco 3 years ago and use it a every week. It was an affordable investment that has made hundreds of eggs over the past few years. I used exactly the same ingredients except left out the oil and cooking spray that I would normally use when making a Wafflette.



This is how I did it:

When I woke up I went down to the kitchen and started brewing a fresh pot of coffee. Before heading up to the shower, I placed 2 inches of water in the bottom of the poaching pan and set the covered pan on low over the stove.  Once I was ready, I took eggs, scallion, shredded cheese, mushrooms, and red pepper out of the fridge. I cracked the eggs into a measuring cup and quickly diced some the vegetables. I dropped the vegetables and cheese into the measuring cup and seasoned with dried chili flakes, salt and pepper. I whisked until well combined. I poured the mixture into each egg slot, filling each slot 3/4 full. Cover and in 8-10 minutes the egg balls puff up like a soufflé and are ready to eat or pack up for an on-the-go snack.

This version is very popular with both children and adults because each batch can be customized utilizing different ingredients.  This is a fun substitute for regular hard boiled eggs and is great for breakfast, as a snack at the office, for a mid-morning protein boost or a late-afternoon or post-workout snack. Hard boiled eggs get very boring, so having an alternative with some vegetables is a nice change. This recipe takes 8-10 minutes and can be made in advance similar to a hard boiled egg.

Both recipes are listed below and BOTH can be made the evening before and reheated in the microwave if desired.

In addition I have included a STEP by STEP picture demonstration in order to help you make a crepe style omelette, when time is not a factor. I hope that these recipes inspire you to change up your morning routine.

Wafflette
For every two people use:

2 eggs
1/4 cup shredded cheddar
1 scallion- diced
2 mushrooms- diced
1/2 red or green pepper- diced
pinch of salt, pepper
pinch of cayenne pepper- optional
garnish- tomatoes, herbs, avocado, greens- optional
The ingredients above will make 2 Wafflettes

1. Plug in the waffle iron.
2. Whisk all the ingredients in a measuring cup.
3. Spray the waffle iron with non-stick cooking spray
4. Pour the mixture evenly into the waffle iron making sure to spread the toppings evenly.
5. Seal the lid shut and wait 3 minutes.
6. Open waffle iron and gently lift out the Wafflettes.
7. Garnish if desired and enjoy!!!!























Soufflé Egg Balls
Yield 6 balls

2 eggs
1/4 cup shredded cheddar
1 scallion- diced
2 mushrooms- diced
1/2 red or green pepper- diced
pinch of salt, pepper
pinch of cayenne pepper- optional
garnish- tomatoes, herbs, scallions- optional

1. Fill the poaching pan with two inches of water, cover pan with lid and heat until water is simmering.
2. Whisk all the ingredients in a measuring cup.

3. Pour the mixture evenly into each egg slot. Make sure the toppings are distributed evenly.
5. Seal the lid and cook for 8 minutes. Each soufflé will puff up.
6. Gently remove each egg ball from the pan.
7. Garnish if desired and enjoy!!!!























How to make a 2 egg crepe style omelette:

Step 1

Heat a 10 inch non-stick pan on the stove on medium heat.

Step 2

Meanwhile, whisk together the following ingredients in a bowl:

2 eggs
pinch of salt and pepper

Step 3

Add 1 Tbsp. of avocado or vegetable oil to your pan and add:

red pepper- diced
1 scallion- diced
parsley- finely chopped

Sauté for 2-3 minutes.

Step 4

Turn the heat down to low and pour in the egg. Gently swirl the pan to ensure the egg EVENLY covers the bottom of the 10 inch pan. Cook on low until the egg looks set and you are able to work with it and flip it without breaking. Tilt the pan toward you and gently slide a spatula under the egg. If you are able to lift the egg it means it is ready to flip. Flip the egg.


Step 5

Fill the omelette with cheese and greens.




Step 6

Gently fold over.  Leave the omelette on low heat for a couple minutes until the cheese melts and the greens wilt.



Enjoy!!!!
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

-