Monday, December 22, 2014

Best Banana Bread I have EVER made



With Christmas around the corner, I like to make a few things in advance that store well in the fridge and freezer. I like to have some appetizers, cookies and banana bread ready for the last minute get togethers that are so common during the holiday season. Banana bread is great because it is familiar amongst most adults and kids and it can serve up to 10 people.  I was determined to make a better banana bread, knowing that I have less time to impress my guests as most of them are not stopping by for long.

I have made many batches in the past and I was not thrilled about the results. My banana bread was either too dry or lacking in flavour. I have finally found the balance in flavour and texture I was longing for with past batches and recipes. It is so moist yet still holds shape. It is sweet with a hint of salt and the crunch of oats on the top gives this loaf fantastic texture. I even took it a step further and made a bourbon vanilla bean whipped butter to give this treat another layer of deliciousness.  This banana bread tasted so good I had to freeze it to stop myself from eating the entire loaf. That would have been a counterproductive move, as my intention is to have some on hand for guests. I hope that you and your holiday visitors will enjoy this recipe as much as I do!

Ingredients

1 stick unsalted butter- room temperature
2 eggs- room temperature
3/4 cup granulated sugar
4 ripe bananas
1/4 cup plain greek yogurt
2 tbsp. bourbon vanilla bean paste or regular vanilla bean paste
1 1/2 tsp. sea salt
2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 cup sifted unbleached flour
1/2 cup oats

Procedure
Preheat oven to 325 degrees

1. In a blender or using a hand blender puree the bananas, vanilla bean paste and greek yogurt.
2. In a medium bowl sift the flour, with the baking soda. Add the salt to the dry mixture.
3. In a mixing bowl with a paddle attachment whip the butter and sugar adding the eggs one at a time on a medium speed. Beat until the mixture is light and fluffy.
4. Turn the mixer on low and add the banana mixture and mix until just combined.
5. Slowly add the flour mixture, scraping the sides as needed.
6. Mix until well combined.
7. Pour the batter into a lightly greased loaf pan and gently tap to release any air trapped in the bread.
8. Pour the oats over the top of the loaf.
9. Bake on 325 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Test the centre of the bread using a toothpick. If it is almost cooked but still needs a few more minutes turn the oven off and let the loaf rest inside for 10 minutes longer. Remove loaf from the oven and let cool in the pan for at least one hour before transferring it to a plate.

Note: I found that when I baked the loaf longer it was dry. That is why I decided to leave the bread in the oven after turning it off. It resulted in a perfectly baked banana bread that was moist all the way through. If you test the banana bread and the toothpick is clear once you pull it out from the centre do not place it in the oven for the additional 10 minutes. Place the loaf pan on a cooling rack.

Whipped Bourbon Butter

In a mixing bowl combine 1 stick of unsalted butter, 1 tbsp of bourbon vanilla bean paste and 1/2 tsp. sea salt. Whip for 3 minutes on medium speed until light and fluffy scraping the sides of the bowl as needed.

2 comments:

  1. I've never used vanilla bean paste. It sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Katie Anna, it is harder to find but worth it. Homesense always has it.

      Delete

-