Monday, April 14, 2014

Pan Seared Scallops with Red Curry Sauce



I wanted to make a special meal for Sunday dinner that was bursting with color and big flavor.  The first ingredient that popped into my mind was scallops and the second was curry. Although I consider myself to be a very good home cook for some reason I have never seared my own scallops. Looking back, scallops are the one item I always find myself ordering when dining out but never an ingredient that I have cooked as the main event in my own home. I decided to challenge myself to making the perfect seared scallops, keeping in mind that I did not want to overcook them or under sear them. I also wanted to create a creamy coconut curry sauce to mop the scallops in to and create the perfect balance of texture and flavor. After gathering my mise en place I was ready to let the creative juices flow. This is the recipe that I came up with.

Seasoned Brown Rice
1/2 cup Lundberg Old World Pilaf with beans
1 1/2 low sodium chicken stock
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1/2 cup freshly chopped cilantro
salt and pepper to taste

Curry Sauce
1 can of coconut milk (160 ml)
1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
1 tablespoon avocado oil
1 tablespoon red curry paste
1 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 cup low sodium chicken stock
salt and white pepper to taste


Scallops 
15 medium sized scallops 
salt and pepper
1 tablespoon unsalted butter and 1 tablespoon avocado oil
Sprigs of cilantro for garnish

1. In a small pot place all your rice ingredients and cover. Cook on medium heat for 45 minutes or until rice and beans are soft but still al dente.
2. Pat all the scallops dry and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
3. On medium high heat, sauté the ginger in the avocado oil until fragrant approximately 2 minutes. Add coconut milk, turmeric, chicken stock, and salt and pepper.  Reduce the sauce by half and strain through a sieve and place back into a clean sauce pan off the heat until needed. 
4. Heat a frying pan on medium high heat, once hot add oil and butter. 
5. Pan sear the scallops making sure not to overload the frying pan 2 minutes per side. 
6. Reheat curry sauce and serve  under the rice and scallops.
7. Enjoy!

I was so pleased that I succeeded in making  restaurant  quality seared scallops  without having to leave the house. I am definitely going to be making scallops again soon.....I am thinking of making them with  a lemon pepper risotto and crispy pancetta.

Have a great Monday!
A

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

-