Thursday, December 23, 2010

Baccalà con Patate (Salted Cod Stew with Potatoes)

Tonight's dinner was a very rustic stew that has been made for generations in the Abruzzo region of Italy. My Great Grandmother, my Grandmother, and my own Mother all have perfected this stew over the years.   My sister Lisa and I LOVE this simple dish. When we were growing up, my mother used to soak the salt cod in a big yellow bowl in the fridge.  When we would get home after school and see that yellow bowl taunting us, we would get so excited about the upcoming Baccalà con Patate.  Our family always had this stew with a side of crusty Italian bread.  To this day, my father still says,"if your gums don't bleed, the bread isn't good."
Immediately after my first bite, I called my sister to brag about how much I was enjoying my meal, and to say it was a damn shame she couldn't make it.  Of course, my mother saved her a bowl.  Sometimes, the simplest things make the biggest impact and bring back the best memories.

Baccalà con Patate (Salted Cod Stew with Potatoes)

Soak 2 lbs dry salted cod in water for 2 days, changing water 3 times a day to soften and remove some of the salt.
  • When the cod is softened, slice into 2-3 inch pieces
  • Dredge pieces in flour
  • Fry fish in non-stick pan until golden brown on each side
  • Set aside on paper towel to absorb oil. 
Peel and cut Yukon Gold potatoes into 1 inch cubes

For the Sauce:
  • In a deep pot, saute diced onions and celery along with whole olives (Barese or kalamata) in olive oil until slightly softened.
  • Add 6 cups pureed tomatoes (or sauce) to pot and bring to a boil.
  • Add potatoes (and a small amount of water)
  • Cook potatoes until soft
5 minutes before serving, add salt cod.  Season to taste with pepper (and salt if necessary, but with salt cod probably not necessary)

Serve in deep bowl with crusty bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment

-